Friday, May 15, 2009

Breathe

My cousin's condition is weighing pretty heavy on my mind right now. Note to self: don't get the Kasey update at 10 o'clock at night, before attempting to fall asleep.
Cuz now, I'm phone blogging in bed while Dave plays on the computer thinking that I'm too tired and off to dream world. I was.
I haven't really wanted to say or write about the whole hospital situation for a few reasons.
One, I dislike bringing up a rough situation more than is necessary for my own sake and for others that may worry. And sometimes I feel that I won't get the details right.
But in honor of the CF walk tomorrow and to help ease my mind a bit... I'm gonna write it out.
So, here's the short:
My cousin Kasey has cystic fibrosis. He is actually one of 3 cousins diagnosed with this terminal lung disease.
Kasey has been in the hospital a week and 2 days now with a case of pneumonia, medication side effects, and added breathing issues. He was put in ICU and has been on and off the vent since.
I went to see him yesterday and he 'expressed' to us and the doctors that he was strong now-by squeezing my hand and wanted to get the breathing tube out.
Well, tonight was going to be the night that the doctors felt they could make that happen.... Once again long story short, they took it out, tried to get him breathing on his own and his CO2 levels in check.. But after a hour and a half of working at it, they determined that his lungs are not strong enough and had to put that dang tube back in. BUMMER.
From what I understand,
after too long, the tube makes it harder for him to recover and easier for him to gain lung complications.
*see I'm tired now, just writing about it wears on me a bit. Plus this is lame phone typing. Anyways,
I am pulling for this guy with all my might. As I know we all are. I'm going to try and keep an update on him.. Love ya Kase! Goodnight.

4 comments:

Holly said...

Rob has been telling me all about Kasey....keep the updates coming. We are praying for him!

katrina said...

oh kasey! ill remember him and your fam in my prayers!

Lindsey said...

I am sorry to hear that he is still in the hospital but I am sure that he appreciated you visiting him.

Anonymous said...

I should have called you Sunday night after leaving gma's place but thought it was too late. After talking more to Don about Kase, he explained to me that Kase is still improving regardless that they had to put him back on the vent. I don't know all the medical lingo but basically he said that Kase went into the hospital with one type of breathing problem, he wasn't getting enough air. Now he just has a different problem, he is getting enough air but he just can't breathe off the CO2. I guess that shows improvement in his overall situation. Don was still optimistic about kase's situation. He continues to be in our thoughts and prayers.